Hittade en mycket intresant artikel hos Spymac om att nya macarna har en nätdel som är avsevärt mycket mer energislukande än tidigare - 646 Watt (se bilden). Får intrycket av att dessa burkar bara är första steget i något annat. Varför en dyrare nätdel än nödvändigt ? Allt finns här:

http://www.spymac.com/forums/?board=2;action=display;threadid=7023;start=0

New PowerMac Truth Hidden In The Specs!

This writer has spent considerable time the past days looking through the design and technical specifications of the new PowerMacs, and has discovered an amazing change between this new lineup and the previous QuickSilver models. In fact, the discovery raises so many new questions that I am henceforth dubbing this latest PowerMac line the "MysteryMac."

Why does this new design require 286 Watts of additional power supply capacity over the QuickSilver design it replaces?

Yes, that´s right, folks: The new MysteryMac has a power supply capacity almost double that of the QuickSilver. And, my simple question is: Why?

The new MysteryMac specification does not state the power supply capacity in Watts, but instead gives voltage ranges and a maximum current rating for the lower (100V - 125V) range, and for the higher (200V - 240V) supply range. Let us consider the lower range, as would apply in North American usage, and use a nominal calculative voltage of 117V. This indicates a VA rating for this power supply of 760.5VA! If we continue Apple´s method of presuming a displacement power factor of 0.95, this indicates a Wattage capacity of about 720 Watts!... fully double the capacity of the QuickSilver!

- Olle

[ 20 Augusti 2002, 00:00: Meddelandet ändrat av: Olle Jonsson ]